Wednesday, April 8, 2009

sakura and o-hanami

Cherry blossom season has arrived! I've been in Tokyo the last couple weekends to see the trees in bloom (they bloom a little earlier in Tokyo than in Ibaraki). Millions of other people were right there with me. It was extremely crowded, but somehow it didn't really matter because I was so distracted by the beauty of the Sakura trees. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. And the "O-hanami" tradition is pretty fun. People gather together in groups to drink alcohol and eat snacks under the trees. The weather has been perfect lately too, which just makes it all that much more wonderful.
Ueno Park
This is a shrine surrounded by Sakura that Kayla and I stumbled upon in Omote Sando. Kayla (from Austin) was in Tokyo for a day on her way back from Singapore and Malaysia for work, and I got to see her for a few hours. We had just enough time to walk around, get a little lost, and do just a tiny bit of karaoke. It was fun!
more of Ueno Park
in Tsuchiura along the Sakura River

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's amazingly gorgeous.