Tuesday, September 16, 2008

my humble abode

my entire kitchen. it turns out a kitchen aid mixer is not essential after all, esp. when you don't have an oven :)
washing machine, bathroom sink, and kitchen (right), toilet room and shower/bathroom (left), trash with different compartments (left), and bedroom (straight) with a desk to the right and a closet and futon to the left that you can't see.
These are a couple pics of the shoebox I live in. I actually think it's kind of spacious for one person, although I've had to stretch my imagination to create storage space for certain things. For example, I have a small, 3 level shelf w/ wheels that goes in between my tiny fridge and my bathroom sink (which is only about 6 inches wide). That's where I keep all of my food. Also, keep in mind that everything I buy has to be either carried home or tied onto my bike w/ bungee cords. I'm not skilled at making things stay on the back of my bike so hopefully I will learn quickly. 
In other news, work is going fairly well. I'm learning to go in early and stay late sometimes so I can make sure I'm ready to teach my classes. During the day, I teach small classes/private lessons with mainly women. A couple of the ladies are really advanced and take discussion classes, which I find enjoyable. In the evening, which makes up most of the classes, I've been teaching lots of business men and a few sweet high schoolers. So far, I love the students. Sometimes they seem really nervous or scared of me (and of speaking English) at first, but mostly they're really fun to teach and very easy to talk to. I have many different levels of students and about 10 different textbooks, but most of the classes have the same basic structure. There are just a couple books that are more ridiculous than you could possibly imagine. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking. No kids come to our school, which I've realized I'm really grateful for! I don't think I'd have the energy to run around and sing all day on top of everything else. 
I've spent my mornings shopping, venturing out, sitting in Starbucks, and prepping for classes. I get home from work at 9:30 or 10 most nights. This weekend, I'm making it my goal to get to Tokyo!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your apartment looks very tiny, but I suppose you have all of the essentials. It sounds like you're having fun at work. Maybe you should switch off with those advanced speakers and do some japanese conversation classes to enhance your learning. Also, your bike is cute and where you live is cute and I'm jealous and I miss you.

Stephanie said...

oh yeah, this whole page is in japanese which makes posting something very tricky